Today I am happy to announce that Android UI Design Kit has been updated to 4.3, and this is my most complete design kit for Android Designers/Developers to date. And awesome thing always comes in pairs:
- Supports Adobe Photoshop and GIMP
- Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (Basic) Design Kits
- Both Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 have Portrait and Landscape Templates
Other than that, there are also two new files in the Design Kit: An Android Holo Color Collection swatch (complete with all different levels), and a document containing link to some libraries for development. One of the reason to include such document is to introduce the Android UI Design Kit users about some nifty libraries that the developers can use to achieve the design in the mock up — which hopefully can easily synchronize the design idea between the designer and the developer.
What’s new in 4.3?
- Building Blocks (Nexus 4 version only)
- Settings Page
- Font Size Reference to Developer
- Empty State Examples
- Showcase View (Works only on Photoshop version)
- Random Text List Styling
- New Date, Time, Color Pickers
- About Page
- Cards Library
- New Stacked Tabs (Similar to Google Play)
- Glass Action Bar (Photoshop only)
- Contextual Action Bar
- Search Action Bar
- Wizard Pager
- Photoshop PSD (or XCF for GIMP) of Nexus 4 Quick Start (Landscape and Portrait)
- Photoshop PSD (or XCF for GIMP) of Nexus 4 Building Blocks
- Photoshop PSD (or XCF for GIMP) of Nexus 7 Quick Start (Landscape and Portrait)
- Photoshop PSD (or XCF for GIMP) of Gestures
- PDF of Link to Libraries
- Holo Color Swatch (Photoshop only)
- You must first install both Roboto and Roboto Slab fonts before using the Design Kit.
- The recommended way to start designing is to use the Quick Start file, then Shift+Drag the required UI elements from the Building Block file
- Since both Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 template are now in xhdpi, some of the UI elements can be easily reuse with minor adjustment
- You can only create awesome mock up from this Android UI Design Kit
Initially I was very tempted to charge for this new update since it does taken up part of my free time, however, I changed my mind eventually — I wanted this to be used by everyone that is designing Android app using Adobe Photoshop (and now GIMP), either professionally or as a hobby – so charging a price might be able to grab me a cup of coffee or two, but I am more obsessed with the download number (can you believe that?) and the social connections I made from providing this download. So it will be remain as a Free Download.
However, if you think I deserve to have a cup of coffee from the work that I have done, you can always support me via Paypal, so that I can maintain the energy to produce awesome stuffs for the community.
As usual, I have made this new Design Kit available at my MediaFire account. File size is larger this time around, but I can’t seems to compress all the awesomeness to a smaller archive size.
There is also an updated Android UI Design Kit for Photoshop 4.4 at Nexus 5 resolution (1080×1920), so if you prefer to design in a larger size with latest UI elements, grab that as well!